std::cout << "somerandomrpogramk";
do {
std::cout << "Type 5:  ";
std::cin >> nx;
} while (nx != 5 && nx == "B" ); //Any letter instead of B
std::cout << "thanks! :D";
_getch();
}

I want the loop to repeat if there is a letter in nx, because 5a, 5x, 5b, etc.
will work too. How do I do that?
bump.
bump again.
Come on, it can't be that hard.
Well as far as I know (because I'm only a beginner too) "nx" can never be a letter, because the nx variable type is an int. This means that nx can only store integer values in that scope.
If you made it a char instead of an int then it would be able to store letters and numbers, but it would only be able to store one at a time (so if you try and store 'ab' in a char, it will only store 'b').

Also, doesn't your compiler throw a spazz if your main function doesn't return an int?
Last edited on
i'm not shure but maybe problem is here:

YOURE CODE:
do {
}
 while (nx != 5 && nx == "B" ); /* this won't work because  nx == "B" 
will not be checked cos expesion before && is true and it should be 'B' I think :) */

MY CODE
do {
}
while (nx != 5 );
Last edited on
The DooD, no, since it's VOID main(), it doesn't require return 0, that would be if I'd put INT main() instead, that would require return 0. Since it's not a complicated program I don't have to inform the system about the result of my program.

Thanks, changing it to char helped. However if I type 5k or k5 or any other letter (not number)
it prints "Type 5: " two times. How do I prevent that?
void main is non-standard, C++ requires int main.
As The DooD said, you need to read a character if you want to check whether it's a letter ( using isalpha function )
If instead want to read an integer and skip invalid input (like letters or any other non-numeric character), see http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/articles/6046/
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.