An error when running "make"

As the previous thread, I have installed and tried two types of Unix shell separately: Git Bash and MSYS2. The configuration process is successful, but when I type make (in the Unix shell), they both threw me an error output:

" $r/./gcc/xg++ -B$r/./gcc/ -nostdinc++ `if test -f $r/i686-pc-msys/libstdc++-v3/scripts/testsuite_flags; then sh.exe $r/i686-pc-msys/libstdc++-v3/scripts/testsuite_flags --build-includes; else echo -funconfigured-libstdc++-v3 ; fi` -L$r/i686-pc-msys/libstdc++-v3/src -L$r/i686-pc-msys/libstdc++-v3/src/.libs -L$r/i686-pc-msys/libstdc++-v3/libsupc++/.libs" not expected at this time.
" $r/./gcc/xg++ -B$r/./gcc/ -nostdinc++ `if test -f $r/i686-pc-msys/libstdc++-v3/scripts/testsuite_flags; then sh.exe $r/i686-pc-msys/libstdc++-v3/scripts/testsuite_flags --build-includes; else echo -funconfigured-libstdc++-v3 ; fi` -L$r/i686-pc-msys/libstdc++-v3/src -L$r/i686-pc-msys/libstdc++-v3/src/.libs -L$r/i686-pc-msys/libstdc++-v3/libsupc++/.libs" not expected at this time.
'r' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
make: *** [all] Error 1

I guess this is because there is not a variable called r, or there is not a program called xg++, so I searched about them. But no use.

Therefore, what causes this error and how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Are you certain this script is being executed by bash?

The error message
'r' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
is probably printed by cmd.exe, not bash, further there are no "batch files" in Unix; they're just called "shell scripts".
Last edited on
@mbozzi

I really use bash. However, due to the UTF-8 problem, in the sentence you pointed out, except for 'R', the rest is garbled. The random code part was added by guessing. The details may not be correct.
yes that is the standard windows command prompt error message when you type something it does not recognize.

Either your bash shell emulator is bugged up (possibly, likely it sits on top of windows shell) or it is not configured right.

I don't have much to offer, I did it the other way around and integrated the unix into my windows shell (cygwin), so I type make there (or anything, grep, ls, g++ etc all work from cmd shell). The bash shell overlay was just too weird with the funky pseudofolders and tying itself in knots trying to be what it isnt. I can't run shell scripts, because of that, but I don't care that much, I am better at c++ and I can use system() like kid that just just finished CS 103
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.