What happened to the jokes?

Pages: 123
Well since nobody linked to xkcd yet (surprisingly), I might as well link to a few of my favorite computer/programming related ones:

http://xkcd.com/292/
http://xkcd.com/149/
http://xkcd.com/293/
http://xkcd.com/153/
http://xkcd.com/541/
closed account (z05DSL3A)
A guide to understanding flow charts... http://xkcd.com/518/
lol, i just madea thread about such jokes, well, i guess im gonna delete it and put my input here:

when chuck norris makes a mistake in M$ visual studio, the compiler dosnt dare to temm him he made an eror, but instead, it fixex the problem by itself
when chuck norris makes a mistake in M$ visual studio, the compiler dosnt dare to temm him he made an eror, but instead, it fixex the problem by itself

Impossible. Chuck Norris doesn't make mistakes.

When he does something inventive, the C++ comitee immediately adds this new feature to the language.

Ever wondered why 0[m_pArray+i] = 23; works? That's why. ^^

Ciao, Imi.
I despise chuck norris jokes and whatever idiot started them should be shot... I just don't get it... I'm sure someone will have an appropriate chuck norris joke in response to my anger as well...
Chuck Norris jokes only stopped being funny when normal people found out about them. Same goes for rick rolling and just about everything else that used to be funny on the Internet (such as "the game", "in Soviet Russia, Y Xs you" and "all your base"). When people started using those jokes away from their place of origin (hint hint) they stopped being funny.
In Soviet Russia, function calls YOU
I despise chuck norris jokes and whatever idiot started them should be shot... I just don't get it... I'm sure someone will have an appropriate chuck norris joke in response to my anger as well...

the only reason ur still alive is cuz chuck norris respects the fact that ppl have diferent taste in humor.

sorry, just had to do it ^^

in soviet russia, chuck norris makes jokes about YOU!!!!!
in soviet russia, chuck norris makes jokes about YOU!!!!!

I have to admit, that one did get a chuckle out of me.
-> Chuck Norris can dereference a null pointer.

-> Chuck Norris can dereference a void pointer.

-> There is no such thing as a compilation error to Chuck Norris. Chuck Norris simply writes code and the compiler simply obeys.

-> No c or std string may contain the name of Chuck Norris as a substring in any way. ISO forbids it.
Last edited on
I like Albert Einstein's Quotes, http://www.sonic.net/~gralsto/einstein/quotes.html

"Gravity cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." -- Albert Einstein

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --Albert Einstein

Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing. -- Albert Einstein

The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax. -- Albert Einstein
-> Chuck Norris never deallocates dynamically allocated memory. The compiler does it by itself out of respect.

-> Chuck Norris knows the ouput of the following piece of code:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
     const int a=10;
     int * pa=(int*)&a;
     *pa=5;
     cout << a << endl;
     return 0;
}
Chuck Norris jokes only stopped being funny when normal people found out about them. Same goes for rick rolling and just about everything else that used to be funny on the Internet (such as "the game", "in Soviet Russia, Y Xs you" and "all your base"). When people started using those jokes away from their place of origin (hint hint) they stopped being funny.

You need to watch the "Advice Dog" video at know your meme:

http://knowyourmeme.com/episodes (currently, 3rd video from the top)

Specifically, the part at 3:07 where it talks about Cartoon Network using Courage Wolf.

Paraphrased:

"The internet is not a secret clubhouse. That's an assumption made only by noobs. The whole point of memes is to expand to a larger audience"

Also, AYB is still as awesome as ever.

know your meme

Sigh. This is why we can't have nice things...

Also, AYB is still as awesome as ever.

No, it's not. It lost it's lustre when videos like "All your base techno remix" surfaced.
I think the tagline for those videos, if they were movies, would be "No originality. No effort. No problem!"

The whole point of memes is to expand to a larger audience

I don't think it's within anyone's right to say what the "whole point of memes" is. Memes are supposed to occur randomly due to funny things people say and do and what not. Edit: not because someone wants to "expand to a larger audience." That would be what we call a forced meme, also known as "not funny in the slightest".

The majority of advice dog rip-offs aren't funny. Courage Wolf is one exception.
Last edited on
Let's be clear about something. "Meme" is just a term some douchebag (yes, I know who he is, so don't bother) came up with for a mostly unrelated concept. What the Internet knows as "memes" can be better described as a catchphrases or in-jokes. The point of in-jokes is that their utterance is supposed to remind the participants of the event that started it. They don't have humor value in themselves.
If I just shouted "u osos o leones" between n-3 and n-4 of the world would just look puzzled, because they don't know a friend of mine giggled like an idiot when I asked him a question that ended in that phrase.
That's an in-joke. Utterly meaningless without context, unfunny with context.

So, the problem, if you can call it that, with "memes" becoming popular is not so much that they become popular; it's that you get people who think that they're funny because everyone else is doing it. Is there anything more stupid than that?
Sigh. This is why we can't have nice things...

Know your meme is awesome. Usually. Some of the episodes are lame.

No, it's not. It lost it's lustre when videos like "All your base techno remix" surfaced.

What you say?!*

Nobody said every incarnation would be a hit. There's good and bad in everything.

I think the tagline for those videos, if they were movies, would be "No originality. No effort. No problem!"

Since when did perpetuating a meme take originality or effort?

* See what I did here? Not original at all, and very effortless, but it still made me chuckle.

Memes are supposed to occur randomly due to funny things people say and do and what not.

If that were true, they'd simply be jokes, not memes. Not every joke is a meme. Not every meme is a joke.

Memes, by definition, are echoed, repeated, and recurring. In order for this to happen (or perhaps as a result of this happening), the meme naturally spreads.

If it stays in a small circle of friends or in some isolated internet circle, then it's not a meme, it's just an inside joke.

Edit: not because someone wants to "expand to a larger audience." That would be what we call a forced meme, also known as "not funny in the slightest".

I thought a forced meme was when someone intentionally does something with the intention of creating a new meme, rather than just having a meme spread naturally.

The majority of advice dog rip-offs aren't funny

I agree. I was never a fan of any of them. Philosoraptor has a funny name, but other than that I couldn't care less.
Know your meme is awesome.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Nobody said every incarnation would be a hit. There's good and bad in everything.

Fair enough.

If that were true, they'd simply be jokes, not memes. Not every joke is a meme. Not every meme is a joke.

Memes, by definition, are echoed, repeated, and recurring. In order for this to happen (or perhaps as a result of this happening), the meme naturally spreads.

If it stays in a small circle of friends or in some isolated internet circle, then it's not a meme, it's just an inside joke.

That's not what I meant. Memes are supposed to spread, and be repeated, it is true, but when they leave their place of origin, people forget where they came from. They start using them out of context or not understanding them. For example, in my school you can constantly hear these annoying kids spouting memes from 4chan and they've never even been there. They don't know where the memes come from, they just repeat them. They don't even understand what they're saying. I asked a kid who kept saying "NO U" where it came from, and not once did he mention a picture of a Japanese guy with an arm coming out of his mouth. That's what annoys me. There's kids going on about "the game" (it's over as of January 7th 2010 by the way) and kids rickrolling each other. They don't know where rickrolling came from. If you asked them what Duckroll was they couldn't tell you. They just repeat memes they hear like sheep. That is what I get annoyed at.

Since when did perpetuating a meme take originality or effort?

Yes, but to actually kill a meme... it's just evil. I used to enjoy AYB until I saw that video. When I saw the video and how widespread and over-used the meme was, I stopped finding it funny. It's like when someone constantly repeats a joke -- it just stops being funny.

* See what I did here? Not original at all, and very effortless, but it still made me chuckle.

No. I didn't saw what you did there.

I thought a forced meme was when someone intentionally does something with the intention of creating a new meme, rather than just having a meme spread naturally.

Exactly. If you [try to] create a meme on purpose with the intention of having it "expand to a larger audience" then it is a forced meme.

I agree. I was never a fan of any of them. Philosoraptor has a funny name, but other than that I couldn't care less.

Well, SAP and FBF are good because I can often relate to them, but the others, like depression dog, are just annoying. Courage Wolf is ok but not that funny.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

I don't agree to that.

har har

I asked a kid who kept saying "NO U" where it came from, and not once did he mention a picture of a Japanese guy with an arm coming out of his mouth.

I don't get why that is of any significance.

I don't know if you've heard of it, but there's a show I watch called the Venture Bros. I love it. I find it completely hilarious. The thing is, half of the show is it either ripping off, parodying, or referencing some obscure movie or television show. I get some of the references, but I figure for every one I get there's at least 10 I don't. But it doesn't matter, the show is still hilarious.

My point by bringing this up is that just because you don't know where something originated doesn't mean you can't enjoy it or find it funny. So what if these kids don't know about duck rolling, does that really make rick rolling any less fun?

It's like when someone constantly repeats a joke -- it just stops being funny

Truth. I understand and agree with this.

Everyone has their own threshold for what is considered 'over used' though. Personally I never got burned out of AYB, and was sad when it started dying out.

Then again I didn't go around looking for it. I think I only saw 2 AYB videos.... the infamous one with the techno track, and some lame "I hate AYB" flash animation some guy named Mortis did way back when (and holy crap, his site is still up! That brings me back).

So I guess it all depends on what circles you hang out in.

No. I didn't saw what you did there.

I wonder if that is actually a grammatical correction, or if my statement was already grammatically correct.

Here vs. There seems to depend on your position vs. the person you're speaking to.

If there's a chair 5 feet away from me and you are right next to me, I would say "the chair over there" because the chair is about the same distance from either of us, and is not directly in my grasp.

On the other hand, if the chair is that same 5 feet away but you are 100 feet away, I would say "the chair over here" because I'm significantly closer to the chair than you, even though I may not have the chair immediately in hand.

How does this translate to text on a message board? If I drew an arrow to the line of text I was referring to, would that make it "close enough" to say here instead of there?

I thought the asterisk made it close enough to warrant the usage of 'here', but was I really incorrect?

Oh well.
Last edited on
@Disch, your statement was right, chrisname was just keeping in line with the phrase "I see what you did there" sometimes written as "i c wut u did ther!"
@firedraco,
Yes. It's usually "did you see what I did there?" to which you respond, "I s[ee, aw] what you did there!"

The lengthy logical explanation is true, it's just usually "there".

I don't get why that is of any significance.

It's not so much that they find out about a meme and find it's funny. It's that they find out about a meme, and then repeat it, over and over and over. Then you ask them where it comes from and they don't know. So why repeat it? It's like when people use words they don't know the meaning of to sound smart, except with those people, when you do know it's meaning you can easily disprove them.

Anyway the main thing I hate about these people is the kind of people they are. Some of them, if you asked them what 4chan was, would call you a "geek." And then laugh at jokes that originated there. That's what really irritates me.

Edit: @helios,
I didn't see your response. Who was that a reply to?
Last edited on
Pages: 123