good C++ course for UK engineer?

I have a good first degree in engineering and experienced in some programming (Matlab). I want to work in C++ and want to hear any recommendations as to a suitable course in the UK. With my engineering background would I still need to do a beginners course? I know I can probably teach myself online, but want a qualification for when applying for jobs. Can anyone reccomend a suitable qualification and provider?

Thanks
I personally would recommend learning from books (particularily stroustroup). Normally people would hire you based on how you perform in an interview rather than what certifications you have.

Google gave me this, but I don't live in the UK myself so I obviously don't know if that's actually a good course.

http://training.gbdirect.co.uk/courses/c%2B%2B/
A C++ course of less than 3 months (and I'm being generous) could only hope to cover but a fraction of the language, and you'd still be a complete newbie. Any "certification" you'd get would be worth slightly less than toilet paper.
Learning a language is one thing; learning programming practice is another.

I'd say it could take you 3+ months to learn the language to a comfortable level, but maybe another 6-8 months regarding practice in programming.

What I am referring to are things such as MVC, SOA, etc. These are a lot of things people overlook, and usually find themselves lost when the jump into a job with programming. Anyone can learn the language, few can actually apply it.

If you tell him to start with Stroustroup, you might as well tell him to start programming in MFC. I would recommend getting the basics of OOP down first with an easier language, like Java.
Last edited on
I personally think Stroustroup is good if you already have practice in other languages, but of course it's hard to judge the experience level of someone else.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.